Thursday Movie Picks: Summer Blockbusters


Hello there, it's Thursday Movie Picks's time, the weekly series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves where you share three movies to fit the theme of the week each Thursday.

There was a time when blockbusters were almost all I watched (the others were rom-com. Yes, you can judge me). It's not like that anymore but I still watch some here and there so here some of my favourites.

Independence Day (1996)

As a mysterious alien species attacks the Earth, a group of men devise a plan to fight back. I watched this one for the first time many many years ago with my cousin (she loved the movie and couldn't believe I'd never seen it) and I loved it. Which only led to us watching it a lot of other times. I haven't seen in a long time but I remember it being a lot of fun. You can't beat Will Smith kicked those aliens' butts. 

Jaws (1975)

A shark goes on a killing spree on Amity Island and the Chief Police, with the help of a marine biologist and a shark hunter, hunt it down. This movie never appealed me much, but I finally gave it a chance the other day and I loved it. It's easily one of the best thrillers ever. I mean, it's got the right atmosphere, tension, score (not only the iconic theme) and some damn fine acting as well.

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Apes leader Caesar set on his own quest to avenge his kind and faces the ruthless Colonel responsible for the losses suffered by the apes. This is the perfect ending to the trilogy and probably one of the most emotional and thought-provoking blockbusters ever made. Instead of focusing on the actual war, it focuses on the inner struggles of Caesar and digs deep into his values and morals. And what a wonderful performance from Andy Serkis. It's not your typical blockbuster though. 

14 comments :

  1. I love your picks! Especially War, I went with Dawn for mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That one is great too. The entire trilogy is great to be honest.

      Delete
  2. I love your first two picks especially your first. Independence Day is full of preposterous situations but the cast really sells the hell out of it. Jaws is more about the suspense than the actual attacks though they are frightening as well and again the cast puts it over.

    I haven't seen any of the current crop of Planet of the Apes. I watched all the originals and then the Mark Wahlberg redo which stunk on ice and that's kept me from the rest.

    Jaws really did start the modern blockbuster but one of mine comes from the same period and was equally huge and then I chose one from each of the following decades.

    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)-This will be brief since I’m guessing there isn’t a soul who hasn’t seen this or doesn’t know the story. Opening with a throwback to the adventure of Saturday serials we meet Indiana Jones professor and treasure hunter. Learning that the Ark of the Covenant is at risk of falling into Nazi possession he sets out to get it into the safe hands of Uncle Sam instead. Along the way he meets up again with Marion Ravenwood, daughter of his old partner and a girl he done wrong, who in many ways is as tough as he is. High adventure follows. Just a flat out good time at the movies. Made a mint on release.

    Total Recall (1990)-In the not too distant future Douglas Quaid (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is suffering from troubling dreams about battles on Mars. His wife (Sharon Stone) is dismissive of them but when he continues to have them he turns to Rekall Inc. a company that sell a different kind of vacation, implanted memories. But something happens when the memory is being placed and he ends up on Mars in a fight for his life…or is he? Very violent and convoluted but involving. Even now technically impressive and along with The Terminator the film that really put Arnold on top for a long time. Cost a fortune to make, made a fortune in theatres.

    Grease (1978)-Well summer vacation is over and Danny Zuko (John Travolta) leader of the T-Birds is back from a trip to Australia where he met the demure Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) and had some Summer Lovin’. He’s back in his leather jacket and ready to pick up with his gang where he left off but surprise Sandy is a transfer student to his high school and now he’s torn between his image as a tough guy and his love for goody two shoes Sandy, who has been taken under the wing of The Pink Ladies lead by Rizzo (a far too old but sensational anyway Stockard Channing). Teen angst 50’s style, drag racing, a pregnancy scare, cameos by lots of classic stars and a load of good songs follow in this peppy adaptation of the Broadway hit. Raked in the bucks for months on original release then did it again when it was re-released to theatres for its 20th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel, please see the current Apes trilogy. Its sooooo good.

      Delete
    2. The Wahlberg flick was terrible. The new trilogy, however, is fantastic. You have to see it!

      Delete
  3. We match with Jaws! I love Jaws but when I first saw it decades ago, I was scared out of pants! In fact, if I am in open ocean, California, Hawaii or Australia, I will not get into the ocean. One of my favourite scenes is actually when the sheriff is being imitatedby his young son. It's a gentle scene in a very non gentle movie. I so disliked Independence Day and was actually bored by the hooray for the USA after all the typical landmarks are blown up. I laughed when Will Smith takes conteol of the actual wheel of the starship. I have not seen the latest Ape film but the first 2 are excellent and this is a case where the films seem to get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be scared of open ocean as well, but it's more likely for sharks to be attacked and killed by humans than the other way around so I don't worry that much anymore. And I don't think they get very close to the coast anyway. But maybe I'm wrong.

      Delete
    2. Actually sharks can go into. 3 feet of water! The sad thing is after Jaws came out, many went out to kill the sharks and it became a real problem

      Delete
  4. Love Jaws and War. Great call on both. Not a big fan of ID4, but it definitely fits the bill. And it's 10,000 times better than the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the sequel yet but I will see it, sooner or later. After rewatching the original.

      Delete
  5. Independence Day is one of my favorite popcorn movies but I didn't bother with the sequel. I have yet to see the Planet of the Apes movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please watch them. The new trilogy is fantastic!

      Delete
  6. The whole Apes series is more than your average blockbuster series, it really is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I would have never believed that if I hadn't seen it with my eyes.

      Delete